Saturday, May 2, 2009

Some answers...

I went to my doctor on Wednesday because on Good Friday I had done an "insulin resistance test" (similar to what most pregnant women have to do to make sure you don't have gestational diabetes). My results came back normal for fasting, 30 mins, 60 mins and 90 mins. Then my insulin really spiked at 120 mins. So what does that mean? I'm not diabetic and not even 'pre-diabetic'. I'm considered insulin resistant, stage 1, so if nothing changed in the next 3-5 years, I could become diabetic. Fortunately, there is medication that I can start and this is considered 'reversible'. My dr believes that I'm genetically predisposed to this (my dad is diabetic) and that I have something called Metabolic Syndrome or Syndrome X (high blood pressure, high cholesterol and insulin resistance) of which all of it is reversible with medication, exercise (which I'd started doing more of) and adding more protein to my diet. He also suggested anti-anxiety medication because I've been so busy with school/work and taking care of my daughter by myself while we still wait for our house in WI to sell so Todd can join us out here. My mind has been going non-stop and it's been difficult for me to sleep at night. Little sleep + busy toddler + stressful job = lots of anxiety and little energy. So far the medication has helped me fall asleep faster and sleep better. Not a sleeping pill, just something that relaxes me and helps me feel more calm. Excellent! I haven't started the medication for insulin resistance yet but I have started more protein to my diet and it really seems to be helping. :)

I just want to encourage everyone who has questions or concerns about their energy levels, sleeping, eating to see their dr. Talk to him/her about it regularly. I tried to tell my dr in Wisconsin that I was exhausted, that I didn't sleep well, etc. He knew I had problems with my blood pressure and cholesterol, knew I had a high stress job and a child but never suggested the insulin test or put me on medication for anxiety. So after a year or so of really feeling like something was wrong and needing some options (I did a plan to change my diet and increase my energy and ability to workout in October but with mixed results). So I'm hoping that I can make some life-long changes one step at a time and these will have lasting results. I'm very encouraged with having some answers and some options with medication to help with the changes.

2 comments:

Jodes said...

I am so happy that you got the answers you were looking for. And that you are feeling better. Feeling better sure does help out a whole bunch. Now if I can only tackle this damn headache that keeps popping up in me in the morning. Like when I wake up it is at full force. Then I take Claritin, and Tylenol, and of course eat breakfast. Then it seems to go away. I have no clue. It is worse when the allergy count is high, then not so harsh on days when it is low. IDK! I am beyound frustrated with this dang headache. But it could also be that I need to take my 2 bp pills in the am, and make sure to remember to take the other 2 at night. Then it might not be so harsh. Who knows, I am up for anything and all suggestions. With in reason.

Melissa said...

I am so glad that your dr was able to help. It is so frustrating when you know something is wrong and the drs. don't listen. I just keep thinking of how different my Dad's situation would be if the had done more when he first complained of a back ache. Good luck with everything. Give K a giant hug. Miss you.