Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We're still alive...and super busy...

Well, I realize it's been almost a week since I wrote any updates -- it's been absolutely CRAZY! Kathleen & I arrived in Idaho Falls on Thursday afternoon. We stopped by the school/church to pick up my keys. We ran into Cherie (Sha-ree) Phelan and the 2 younger daughters, Maddie and Marie. They were paying tuition. Kathleen went RIGHT OVER to Cherie and gave her a hug! I was stunned since, well, she just doesn't do that. To anybody!!

We ran a few errands around town and then arrived at the Phelan house. Man, it is so nice here. Not just a nice home but a great family. Michael is going to be a senior in hs, Megan will be a sophomore in hs, Maddie will be in 6th grade at my school and Marie is the mighty 2nd grader whose energy does.not.stop! She, in particular, has had a GREAT time 'smothering' K with lots and lots and lots of love and attention!!!

One of the errands I ran that day was to purchase a jogging stroller that I found listed on craigslist. I *heart* it! The wheels need a little air and it's a little different to turn than a 'regular' stroller, but it moves well and it's great. The girls have had a great time pushing K around in it already!

We spent the weekend enjoying time with the Phelans and doing things around church/school. I met with the 3rd grade teacher so we could split up teaching duties for next year. I called families to let them know I'd be team-teaching 3rd grade (which was met with enthusiasm, from what I hear). I attended pastor's farwell worship service and potluck lunch on Sunday. Hope is a wonderful church -- but Kathleen definitely 'stands out' as one of the very few toddlers in the group! I never realized how much little 'noise' and 'chatter' by babies/toddlers went on at Good Shepherd. A little distracting, ok, but not attention grabbing! Fortunately, though, a cute little 15 month old girl was sitting in the pew behind us so we were the only ones distracting others during the service.

Later in the evening I went to Jim and Betty Oloff's house for supper. They have what has to be one of the neatest, most unique homes...well, locations anyway! It is right on the Snake River and right next to a lumberyard. That's it. You turn on the dirt road in an industrialized area and there is the house. However, they have the gorgeous view of the river, and they've got a small creek/bridge in front of their front yard, lots of plants, animals, etc. It was really neat. The house itself reminds me of an old farmhouse and it's just a neat place to visit. The meal was really wonderful -- until K took her bbq sauce/baked bean sauce-covered hands and put them on my white capris and white shirt sleeve. GREAT. I've tried washing/soaking several times already. ARGH.

Monday I was busy working in my office and then ended up giving a tour to a very, eh, 'eccentric' woman and her neighbor. She's from Montreal (I think) but has lived all over the world. She goes by the nickname "Mitch" (no kidding) and is a church-hopper who found out about our school in the longest, round-about way possible. Her Methodist minister in AZ told her that his 4 kids go to the local LCMS school and they love it there. He looked up Idaho Falls and found our address for her. That is simply remarkable to me! I don't know if she'll end of enrolling her son or not -- but it sure made for an interesting hour or two of my day as both she and her neighbor wanted to discuss theology (He is a former LDS -- ie "Mormon" and she may have been at one time too) and politics, etc. Yowza! I did get to go to lunch with the grade 4/Spanish/Music teacher, her daughter (who will be in 3rd grade and is SO excited I'll be teaching!) and the 1st grade teacher. Yummy Mexican food and a nice chance to get to know them better.

Last night the Oloffs had their daughter Esther (in high school?) and Lydia (who is 4)...and son Daniel (5th grade) come over to school to babysit Kathleen during out board meeting. She wasn't a happy camper at first but by the time the meeting was done, she was laughing and playing. What troopers they are!! Only son Noah (high school -- jr or sr?) was off the hook and got to stay home last night!!

Yesterday was also Kathleen's first day of daycare. I love her center. The center itself is in a brandnew area and it is just a great facility. The people are great and her toddler 'teachers' are SOOOO patient! Of course she toddled into the room and bumped her head on the way into the room yesterday so she was in tears when I left. So heartbreaking! But she was sitting with the rest of the kids in a circle for story time when I picked her up at 3 p.m. -- so adorable! What a big girl! Today the dropoff was a little rough, but I knew it would be. It wasn't an easy morning, either, from what I'm told, but better than yesterday. She was practically asleep on the floor when I got there today. Actually, she had to take a nap shortly after we got home yesterday because she only naps for about 30-35 mins there! Too much to 'miss', I'm sure! She was asleep by 6 p.m. MDT tonight. Poor girl. It's so good for her though. I'm hoping by next week she'll be more into the routine and she'll begin enjoying it. I can hope. It is fun to pack her lunch each morning though. I found a pink camo lunchbag for her -- it is too cute for words.

As for Todd, Bucky and our house... THEY are super busy too! Bucky will be moving in with the Hansons -- what a great situation. Someone we know and they have a lot of land AND other dogs. I hope and pray he behaves well and gets along with the other dogs and daycare kids there!! Todd has been working non-stop on all kinds of 'little' (and not so little) tasks around the house. The realtor is hosting an "Open House" on Sunday, so we're hoping and praying it leads to a buyer. We did have someone walk through the house already last week. They really liked the house, but the husband is 6'4" and felt the upstairs was too short and narrow for him. Darn you giants! Ha ha ha... but two more people walked through the house today. No feedback yet, but someone took a packet of information, so that could be a good sign. You just never know. We're so anxious to have Todd out here!!! The weather has been great -- 80s and low 90s but NO humidity... there 'might' be a t-storm this weekend, but might not. They've only had 4 inches of rain here all year so far. How crazy is that?

I am going to be looking for an apartment on Thursday or Friday this week. We love the Phelans but don't want to be in the way either. They just left for a week long trip to Washington, DC. It's really lonely without them around. K walked all throughout the house last night saying, "Hi! Hi!" and waiting for someone to respond. Poor baby misses her girls already!!! It will be nice, though, to have our own place and unpack our stuff and start to feel just a little more 'settled'. So I'll be busy with all of that too.

That's really all I have to update you all on right now. Well, this is a novel already! Mental note *Must be better about daily blogging*!! I can't get my laptop to work with the wireless router at school yet (I don't think the signal reaches all the way over to my office) so I can't share more pictures yet -- but I'm working on it.

-- Tanya

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like you are very very busy. K will love her daycare. It will just take time. It sounds as if she is enjoying it already.

Jodes said...

Sounds like you guys are slowly getting adjusted to life out there. But it will sure take time. peanut will get used to the routine at daycare. And her sleep schedule will come around also. I hope and pray that you guys find an apartment that best suits you guys adn when Todd comes out there. Also, hope and pray that your house sells so he can join you sooner than later. Bucky will have an enjoyable time at the Hansons with all the kids around. He is a good dog. You guys will also get used to the time difference soon. Your body clock will have to have time to adjust. Trust me. I know how that goes.

Ryan and I will visit you guys eventually. Not sure when though. Will let you know when that happens. But not soon though. We really miss you. Whenever would love to see updated pictures of peanut and you, and everything in Idaho.

Love,
Ryan(peanut's boyfriend) and Jodie
(peanut's and mommies best buddy from WI)

Jenny said...

We are so happy that things are going well! Daycare will be just fine for K, but like Melissa said it will take some getting used to. Good luck with the apartment hunt and the house buying here in WI. I bet you miss Todd, I can only imagine!

We miss you!