Friday, October 24, 2008

Harvest Carnival

It was a wild week. On Monday I had a dr's appointment, just to monitor my blood pressure. I felt like I was getting chest congestion but didn't say anything because my sinuses seemed fine. By Thursday I had no voice. :( I still had no voice at all today so I went in this morning to see Dr. Packer again. "Just a virus". Yeah, OK. He told me not to go to work and not to talk today. Ha ha ha. He even told me that he could write me a note. I'm not sure who I would give that to -- my secretary, maybe? She IS the person in charge around here! It's been tough to not be able to speak above a whisper all day. I scrapped my lesson plans for this afternoon and ended up renting "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" for my 3rd graders to watch so I could rest my voice. Keeping 3rd graders quiet -- so much for resting my voice. I did lock myself in my office this morning to work uninterrupted and then went to run errands from 10:30-12:00. The 3rd graders put on a 'circus' for the rest of the school -- very cute. I left after that and came back at lunch time. I did try to rest my voice, if not my body, for a while!

Tonight was our Harvest Carnival. I LOVE that we have a big, active PTO! They planned the whole thing and it was lots of fun! K wore her "ladybug" costume from last year and it is still SO cute! Everyone was going goo-goo over her. We had a "Plin-ko" type game where kids could win LIVE goldfish! (We won -- and gave our fish away...), a racecar game, a cake-walk (K was RUNNING around with me, it was so cute), a photo booth (one of the dads takes professional-quality photos -- it was awesome!), bean bag toss (K got one in -- with a little help), decorating pumpkins (with foam stickers), face painting (she has a pumpkin, which looks SO cute but she cried the whole time!)... it was such a good time. It runs from 6-8 p.m. which is just the right amount of time for little kids to be out on a Friday night! I know I will miss the Fall Fest at St. Paul's this year -- with it's over-the-top decorating and MOUNTAINS of candy that they hand out to the kids... but I won't miss all the prep work that always fell on the teachers. We charge tickets here so this is a great fundraiser. I made a big crockpot full of chili for them to sell and I also donated a case of water and a mini-Barbie cake for the CakeWalk. It was so fun though and people are so good to us here that it's just a small way to give back.

Time to call it a night. I went and got a Library card today while I was running errands. They have all kinds of great videos available there so goodbye Hollywood Video (they are really expensive, compared to Family Video in WI!) and hello FREE dvds. Although I did have to rent the DVD this afternoon since all their copies were checked out. Oh well. So it will be a weekend of library DVDs, hot tea and rest for us here.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Becky said...

Your doctors name is Dr. Packer?!?! How ironic!

We miss you guys so much!!!