Friday, January 16, 2009

Grown up names are for grown ups, right?

Over the past three years or so, I've been going to a chiropractor on and off again about every 3-6 months. My chiro in WI is swamped with patients and never has a follow up appt scheduled with me. It's just 'whenever' I feel like I need to come in. She doesn't push any supplements or try to find my "energy spots" or anything else goofy like that. The routine was always the same. She has a rolling-pin-type thing that she rolls up and down my spine a few times. Then she'd crack my back. Then I'd roll over and she'd crack my neck on both side. Done. In and out in 15 minutes or less. $25 co-pay. Done. I knew it was time to go back in whenever my neck would get stiff and I couldn't turn it all the way to the left, or when I would turn my head and it would crack, or when I would get tension headaches. It's probably been close to a year since I went to Dr. Laura because I just haven't felt a big need for it (or I was in denial and just never went in). It's finally to the point where I'm experiencing all those things -- neck stiffness, cracking, headaches. I found a chiro here who has early morning appts so I can drop off K and go to an appt and still make it to school on time. They had to do X-rays on Wed for my first appt. He pointed out the same thing Dr. Laura pointed out in Dec 2005 when she took X-Rays -- one of the discs in my neck is compressed (I had a car accident in 2000 and one in 2004) and if not treated, it could lead to arthitis in my neck someday. Doesn't THAT sound fun...

My new chiro here did an adjustment and I felt SO much better right away. Unlike Dr. Laura, he scheduled a follow-up for today. Twice in one week? The only other time I saw a chiro that often was the other chiros filling in for her last year while she was on maternity leave -- when I fell down a couple of steps in our house and twisted my back before landing on my hip. (So graceful, I know!) Anyhow, the chiro here also recommended a therapeutic massage this morning before the adjustment because it helps with the adjustment.

I've had a massage before -- ONCE before, that's it. It was nice and relaxing. This one was like being put through a grinder. "Gentle" and "soothing" were not at all how I would define it! Yikes! It hurt. That's the point, I suppose. To work out all the knots and tension. Ouch!

When I was done, the chiro started my adjustment. No rolling-pin thing. Just cracks my neck and then has me sit on the floor and lean back over his arm/hand to crack my back that way (well, whatever, it works I guess)...

TODAY he says, "So, how old is your daughter and what's her name?" I said, "She's almost 2 and her name is Kathleen." He said, "Wow. That's a grown up name. You don't hear that often." Ummmm.... seriously? She will be a grown up someday! (God willing!) I said, "Well, that's my mom's name too but my mom goes by Kathy so my daughter goes by Kathleen or Kate or Katie." Did he think her name was going to be "Bunny"?? I admit, there are some names that I can't imagine on small children. But still... Goofy comment. In any case, I feel a little better today. I am going back next Friday for another massage/adjustment combo. It may not feel great but at least it's a little more proactive than just saying, "See you again whenever..."

- Tanya

1 comment:

Jodes said...

I wouldn't say kathleen's name is grown up. I it is a classic name. From the olden days. Now before I get into trouble with you all. Let me explain. It was a name that our grandma's or great grandma's had. That is what I meant. I love the name, that is Ryan's mom name and she espcecially loves it. Kathleen is in the same boat as Elizabeth, Victoria, Olivia (I know a beautiful Olivia :)), and can't think of any more vintage names.

Now onto your "adjustment". I went to two different chiros once. One had this clicky device when I sprained my ankle badly. He clicked my big toe back in place. It looked cool when it came back (I will explain that in my blog), and my chiro had me sit in a chair then would crack my neck. Have me lay on this bed thingy then check to see how short one leg was from the other. Have me lay on this bed and put one leg over the other and crack my back by laying on my hip, then do the other side. That felt amazing. Never had Xrays done. Never I say. Why do they do them? Rookie question I know. But why?